History Project facilitators and teacher leaders are available to work with your district, school, or county office of education through customized programs tailored to meet your goals, your budget, and the needs of your teachers and students. Our professional learning programs aim to increase teacher capacity to improve inquiry-based instructional practice by deepening content knowledge while scaffolding discipline-specific literacy and thinking skills. Our work with schools spans single day workshops to multi-year collaborations, but the most effective collaborations occur over multiple years.
Our customized programs can address any combination of the following:
- Implementing the 2016 History-Social Science Curriculum Framework for California Public Schools.
- Developing discipline-specific reading, writing, speaking and listening skills for English Learners and struggling students with strategies aligned to the California Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts and Literacy for History/Social Studies and the California English Language Development Standards.
- Improving students’ discipline-specific thinking skills and content knowledge in United States and World History and Geography
- Instructional planning through backwards planning, developing scope and sequence, and curriculum mapping.
- Embedding technology applications to address instructional goals
Sample District Programs:
Addressing the New H-SS Framework
This multi-year program explores in depth the new History-Social Science Framework and the four instructional shifts – content, inquiry, literacy, and citizenship. Each session will focus on a different grade level and provides:
for Vacaville Unified School District
Disciplinary Literacy in the History-Social Science Classroom
In this multi-year program, district teachers with the help of History Project staff and teacher leaders focus on implementing disciplinary literacy as called for in the Common Core State Standards into their classrooms. Features of this program include:
for Roseville City School District
Scope and Sequence: Aligning the Curriculum Maps
The program guides teachers in the 6th-12th grade classrooms to refine and expand the current scope and sequence curriculum maps to align to the new History-Social Science Curriculum Framework for California Public Schools.
for San Juan Unified School District and Tracy Unified School District
Historical Thinking in the History-Social Science Classroom
This program introduces and explores historical thinking and how to implement it in the history-social science classroom. Topics will include:
for San Juan Unified School District
Supporting Academic Language and Literacy in the History-Social Science Classroom
This program focuses on Academic Literacy and Language Supports for English Learners and struggling students. This program:
for Tracy Unified School District
Teaching With Primary Sources
With the support of the Library of Congress, the History Project has offered two separate Teaching With Primary Sources Programs.
TPS I is a full day program that supports teacher efforts to:
TPS II is a week long summer institute that allows teachers to: